Saturday, September 24, 2005

Strange behavior...

My grandma (Ginny) is in town visiting for a while since Rita was getting a little too close to Houston. She is almost 80 and my aunt, who lives in Spring, was smart and got her here last Monday when Rita was passing over Flordia. Thank goodness!

Anyways, she and my mother stopped by to visit the other evening. You would not believe how Wendy reacted! At first, she would just cling to Doug, not look at Ginny and bury her head in his shoulder. After some time, I said "just put her down she will come around". I was wrong, she laid on the floor covering her eyes and crying. After a while, we picked her up and she just went nuts! I've NEVER seen her throw such a tantrum fit. Doug took her into the kitchen to wipe her face and try to get her to calm down, she did a little bit. But as soon as she came back in the room, she started it all over again. So Ginny went outside for a bit and sure enough she calmed down and started talking to us and even went over and gave my mom a big hug. She was fine, until Ginny came back. Obviously she didn't like Ginny for some reason. Doug ended up taking her upstairs to get her ready for bed early and read her stories. Very strange, she has never acted this way in front of a stranger. She has seen Ginny many times in her life, recently at a family reunion or the last time we visted her in Houston. I admit that in the past she didn't really want to get to close to her but she is like that with all new people she meets. We aren't really sure what set her off. I'm wondering if she is sensing the new arrival and this is the start of it. I hope she doesn't react this way when Bob and Barbara come down. I'm also VERY curious to see how she acts when the baby arrives. I have a feeling we are in for a bumpy ride...

As an update, we had breakfast with my mom and Ginny this morning and she did the same thing. She just buried her head and cried the entire time. After Ginny finished her breakfast, she went outside and Wendy was fine. However, this afternoon, I invited my mom and Ginny over again (I was hoping to get to the bottom of this) and things went much better. She was watching a video when they arrived. At first, she buried her head but this time she wasn't crying or throwing a fit. So I sat down next to her and slowly brought her over to my lap. After some time, I was able to get her to take her hands away from her eyes so she could finish watching the video. By the end of the video, she was talking to me and Doug somewhat. Ginny was just sitting quitely on the couch and Wendy kept an eye on her, but eventually she got up and went and got the mail with Doug. When they returned, she ran to give my mom a hug. About 30 mins later she was playing and taking toys to Ginny. So, whatever her issue was, she worked it out. Wendy, my mom and Ginny went to the store later while Doug and I went out to eat and Ginny got her a new ball. This won her over!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home